Welcome to episode 20 of Optimal Health For Busy Entrepreneurs.
I’m excited to bring this paradigm-changing conversation to you today. Today’s guest, Dr. Michael Lustgarten is someone who is very passionate about studying ways in which we can increase our longevity.
What initially sparked me to reach out to Michael was his attention to detail regarding his health. He’s the true embodiment of someone who lives an N of 1 lifestyle. I enjoyed this conversation and I think you will as well due to some of his personal experiments he shares.
This conversation will also inspire you to think about leveraging the power of data a little more (even if it’s not the level of Michael’s). Here’s more information about him:
Dr Michael Lustgarten, PhD, Scientist II in the Nutrition, Exercise Physiology, and Sarcopenia Laboratory at the Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. His research currently focuses on the role of the gut microbiome and serum metabolome on muscle mass and function in older adults. In addition to his contributions to numerous scientific publications, he is the author of a book titled Microbial Burden: A Major Cause Of Aging And Age-Related Disease. Dr. Lustgarten is also known for his rigorous n-of-1 health optimization experiments and quantified-self practice
Listen to the episode here:
- Never miss an episode by subscribing over at Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or by RSS
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- What got him into this N of 1 lifestyle
- His definition of optimal health
- The importance of the microbiome
- The microbiome and its relationship to aging
- The importance of checking your blood multiple times per year
- The blood panels that Dr. Lustgarten makes sure to get each time
- The power of tracking your various health data
- How Dr. Lustgarten approaches his nutrition
- Little know facts about fiber and how beneficial it is
- How to approach your biome and the use of probiotics
- And much more
Resources featured in this episode:
- Dr. Lustgarten’s website
- Connect with Michael on Twitter
- Connect with Michael on Facebook
- Which Blood Test Analyte Is Most Important For Predicting Biologic Age?
- Quantifying Biological Age: Checklist
- Optimizing Biological Age With Aging.ai: Blood Urea Nitrogen
- 15+ Years Younger Than My Chronological Age: Blood Test #2 In 2020
- His book: Microbial Burden: A Major Cause Of Aging And Age-Related Disease
- Food tracker
- A tool to check your biological age (aging.ai)